Now, let’s discuss how you want to ship your car to Cameroon.
There are two shipping options available :
What is Customs Clearance within the process of the project?
Upon arrival at the Port Autonome de Douala, you’ll need to work with a customs clearing agent to sort out customs duty and taxes.
N.B: Custom duty in Cameroon is calculated by multiplying the assessed value or “valeur imposable” (FOB value + Fret) by 91% for cars less than 15 years or 107% for cars older than 15 years.
How do you get the FOB value of a second-hand car from Europe?
To get the FOB value, you’ll need to refer to L’argus Magazine. So, before your car arrives, the customs clearing agent will get to work.
The custom clearing agent will get the FOB value from L’argus and add to it the freight from the Bill of lading.
Practical examples of custom duty on a second-hand car from Europe
Let’s say you’re importing a second-hand Toyota Avensis 126 D-4D FAP Dynamic 4p manufactured in 2010 from Hamburg to Douala. What is the custom duty?
FOB value = XAF 2 184 480
Freight = XAF 350 000
Assessed value = FOB value + Freight (2 184 480 + 350 000 = 2 534 480)
Custom Duty = Assessed value × 0.91 ( 2 534 480 × 0.91 = XAF 2 306 377)
NB : We applied 91% because the car is less than 15 years old.
Let’s take another example of a car older than 15 years – the Mercedes Benz Class ML 2006.
FOB value = XAF 2 709 280
Freight = XAF 500 000
Assessed value = 2 709 280 + 500 000 = 3 209 280
Custom Duty = 3209280 × 107% (1.07) = XAF 3 433 929
NB: These are estimations by law. Cars older than 15 years get a higher custom value. For cars less than five years old, you can negotiate lower than 91% through a custom clearing agent. Also, remember that the FOB value from L’argus Magazine is average. So, based on the experience of your RANDY LOGISTICS as your best custom clearing agent, we know what limit they can reduce your FOB value to.
Tips on How you can reduce the cost of a second-hand Car
- Buy cheap: As we’ve seen above, the FOB value of your car is determined by L’argus. So buying cheaper in Germany will save cost. That’s why it’s important to have an agent in Germany that masters the market and will most importantly evaluate the car physically and negotiate the price.
- Buy from a location closer to the port of export, in which case Hamburg or Antwerp.
- Work with a knowledgeable custom clearing agent in Cameroon who is willing to help more than make a profit. At the level of customs clearance, there is a lot of work that can be done to reduce the customs duty of a car.
- Work with a customs clearing agent who will get you involved in the process.
- Avoid giving a full deposit except you trust your agent.
How can we help you?